COVID-19 Update from Access Ballroom *UPDATED*
July 2020 Update
We are excited to reopen our doors for in-person classes as part of Stage 3 of Toronto’s reopening plan. All lessons will resume as of Sunday, August 2, 2020. The studio will also be open on a public holiday on Monday, August 3. To learn more about Ontario’s guidelines and regulations in Stage 3, please visit the Ontario website.
Studio Safety Measures
The following measures will be implemented at the studio until further notice:
- All frequently touched areas will be cleaned and disinfected more often than usual.
- Dance teachers are required to wash hands between each lesson (which we always do anyway).
- All students and guests are required to wash their hands with soap and water before each class.
- All staff, students, and guests are required to wear a face mask/covering at the studio and will not be permitted inside of the studio otherwise.
- Hand sanitizer with alcohol will be provided at the studio, as available.
- Physical distancing of 2 meters must be maintained, except if dancing with your dance partner or as needed for personal training, provided that the student is comfortable with that (e.g. dancing with your teacher).
- The total number of people permitted in the studio cannot exceed the indoor gathering limit of 50 people (which usually it does not, as we try to keep our classes small.)
- Washrooms, lounge areas, and coat hangers will be cleaned and disinfected frequently.
- Everyone must stay home if ill or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. Please do not come to the studio for everyone’s safety.
- Please allow for a 14-day isolation period before coming to the dance studio if you’ve recently traveled or been in contact with someone who has.
- In-person private lessons will resume with your dance teacher as per usual and must be booked in advance. Please email us at email@example.com to book.
- Online private lessons can still be arranged if desired. You will be getting 2 dance teachers to show you the partner steps if you are a couple and one dance teacher if you are solo. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
- In-person group lessons must always be booked in advance for us to ensure the appropriate numbers of people at the studio at a time. Please email email@example.com or call 416-690-3900 to book.
- For everyone’s safety, we will not be switching partners during the group classes. If you are joining the class solo, you will be learning the steps without a partner. Your dance teacher will then help you work on these steps during your private lesson.
- Dance teachers will not be dancing with students or switching partners with students during the group classes at this time for everyone’s safety.
- Please find the updated August schedule here.
- Online group lessons will not continue beyond July 29, 2020. We thank everyone who participated in these, and we look forward to welcoming you at the studio!
March 2020 Update
Dear Access Ballroom Family,
During this uncertain time, we had to temporarily close the dance studio due to COVID-19, as per the government’s guidelines from March 16th, 2020. Health comes first and it is our number 1 priority to keep our students, guests, and staff safe. We will notify you as soon as we are open again.
Our hearts go out to those affected by the COVID-19. We are also infinitely grateful to all the frontline workers, some of whom we are proud to call our students. Let us all take the responsible approach and prevent the spread of the virus as much as possible by staying home and following the rules.
We cannot wait to open our doors again and dance with you!
What Happens To Your Lessons
You don’t lose the lessons you’ve already purchased. We will contact you once we are back from quarantine to help you schedule those in. You can also join the online classes – ask us how!
Support Access Ballroom and Other Small Local Businesses
Access Ballroom is our baby. We’ve quite literally put our blood, sweat, and tears into the dance school, sacrificed family quality time on multiple occasions, spent long hours renovating our new studio, worked without weekends, lost friends who did not understand our focus and passion… And it finally started to pay off with growing students and hiring more staff, until COVID-19 hit.
Three months of quarantine and counting, our doors have been closed, like many other local small businesses. We still have to pay all the studio expenses, with no students at the studio. Yes, the Government of Canada graciously offered loans, however, not all businesses qualify for those, to begin with, and some don’t even bother to apply because they simply won’t be in the position to pay those back taking into account all the losses. The CECRA program (where the government covers 50% rent, small business covers up to 25% and landlord forgoes the rest) is not mandatory, so many landlords refuse to participate in it because they don’t have to.
It is sad to see that many small businesses are falling through the cracks during these uncertain times leaving their owners without a dream, food on the table, and any sort of hope for the future. It almost feels like, all that we’ve worked for was for nothing. What is worse, these businesses create jobs for people, and a lot of people won’t be able to come back to their jobs once the quarantine is over.
We’d like to thank all students to have been able to support us through dance classes and donations during these trying times. We encourage you to support local small businesses that you care about, talk to their owners, and spread the word. Distantly is also one of the safe ways of how you can show your support by making a donation.
What Are We Doing Meanwhile?
We’ve been catching up on paperwork, organizing, adding to the dance syllabus and more… Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or message on WhatsApp to tell us how you’re doing and what you’ve been up to! We’d love to hear from you.
Online Dance Classes with Access Ballroom
By popular demand, we are also now teaching privates online. You get a whole 2 dance teachers to yourself! All you need is an electronic device with a camera. Contact us to learn more and book your lesson!
Keeping Relationships Vibrant
If you are in a relationship during the quarantine and would like to keep it growing and happy (a.k.a. not kill each other!), check out David and Lindsey, co-founders of Relationship Zen. They teach relationship nerds the mindset and action steps to co-create vibrant relationships through conscious connection and communication. Moreover, they have some awesome couples’ team building ideas on their blog that you can try out during COVID-19 quarantine!
NEW to Access Ballroom?
Fill out the form below to book your trial private lesson/consultation for when we are back from the COVID-19 quarantine! Learn Salsa, Bachata, Cha Cha, Merengue, Mambo, Rumba, Tango, Waltz, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, Bolero, Swing, and Hustle!